- 2017 January Meeting Minutes

2017 January Meeting Minutes

Pine Island Ridge Community Association

Monthly Board Meeting

January 16, 2017

The regular monthly meeting for PIRCA was held on Monday, January 16, 2017 at Rosatti’s located at 5504 Lincoln Hwy, Schererville, IN 46375; the President being in the chair and the Secretary being present.  The Meeting was called to order at 7:03pm by President Vera Lippie.


Board Members:  Vera Lippie, Joshua Lawrence, Bob Smith, Rich Mulder, Jim Onik, Yolla Blair, Jeff Kwolek, Marc Zubeck, Mike Pocius, Neal Kostelyk

Proxies:  None

ARC:  Neal Kostelyk, Marc Zubeck

Homeowners:  Cherie Aleksik

Town Visitors:  None


President Lippie announced that there was a Quorum and official business could be conducted.

Approval of the Minutes from December 19, 2016 Board Meeting:

 Said minutes as presented were approved by voice vote with the following amendments:

  • Bullet point one of the Treasurer’s Report amended to read “Next year’s dues have been sent to print at a cost of $850.40; we are waiting for confirmation they have mailed.
  • Bullet point five of the Treasurer’s Report amended to read “ Pocius reported he was contacted by our attorney; they discussed how to address homeowner payments that are not current. Options are currently being pursued in regard to future legal counsel.”
  • The section of Homeowners in Attendance amended to read, “None.”

A motion to accept the minutes as amended was made by Mr. Smith and seconded by Mr. Zubeck.  The motion passed by voice vote.

Treasurer’s Report:

 In absence of Mr. Pocious, the report was presented by Ms. Lippie

  • Payments were made to Nipsco, Rebecca Pocius, and to Rosatti’s.
  • Current Profit/Loss was reported in previous Email sent to board members.
  • Zubeck raised a question in regards to the way net income & reserve fund are recorded; Ms. Lippie recommended asking Mr. Pocius at the next regular meeting.
  • Onik asked about bookkeeping fees and their location in the budget, as well as the methodology for recording expenses that were not budgeted.
  • Zubeck questioned the fact that there was not a line item expense for the 2016 budget for the reserve account ($5,000).

Mr. Zubeck introduced a motion to table further discussion regarding the Treasurer’s Report until the next regular meeting due to the questions. The motion was seconded by Mr. Kostelyk. Motion passed by voice vote.

Committee Reports:

Common Area & Landscaping:

  • Lippie reported that Kelley’s tree service has not yet begun due to the wet soil conditions. He will continue to check until the situation has improved; or he may have to bring in boards to prevent getting stuck.


  • Nothing to report at this time


  • Kwolek reported that a resident found objectionable content behind her bushes; and advised that we should be alert.


  • Lippie again requested input for the upcoming Spring newsletter. It will need to go to print by May.
  • Kostelyk suggested including a section regarding flat HOA fees in the future.
  • Mulder will meet with Mr. Kwiatkowski in regards to electronic communications. Minutes need to be posted in a timely manner.
  • Mulder will continue to work on improvements to our electronic communications.

Special Events:  Nothing to report at this time.

  ARC:  Mr. Zubeck reported there were three projects approved in December, and that there are no outstanding projects.

  • Onik inquired about the relation of the board to ARC

Special Committees: 

  • Aleksic has volunteered to organize the annual Kiddie Parade. The date of June 10th was selected; at 10am with a line-up of 9am at Pine Island Drive and Matthew St. Volunteers will be requested in the Spring Newsletter.

New Business:

 The impact of moving to flat HOA fees need to be calculated.

  • Emailed communications need to be centralized.
  • A formalized process for Attorney communications need to be established.
  • The relationship between ARC and PIRCA needs Clarification.

A motion to being a search for new legal counsel was introduced by Mr. Kostelyk and seconded by Mr. Lawrence. The motion passed by voice vote.  Ms. Lippie agreed to arrange meetings with potential legal firms starting next week.


A motion to adjourn was received from Mr. Kwolek and was seconded by Ms. Blair.  Motion passed by voice vote.  The meeting adjourned at 8:41pm.