2017 February Meeting Minutes
Pine Island Ridge Community Association
Monthly Board Meeting
February 20, 2017
The regular monthly meeting for PIRCA was held on Monday, February 20, 2017 at Rosatti’s located at 5504 Lincoln Hwy, Schererville, IN 46375; the President being in the chair and the Secretary being present. The Meeting was called to order at 7:04pm by President Vera Lippie.
Board Members: Vera Lippie, Joshua Lawrence, Bob Smith, Rich Mulder, Jim Onik, Yolla Blair, Mike Pocius
Proxies: Neal Kostelyk gives his proxy Bob Smith. Jeff Kwolek gives his proxy to Vera Lippie
Town Visitors: None
President Lippie announced that there was a Quorum and official business could be conducted.
Approval of the Minutes from January 16, 2017 Board Meeting:
A motion to accept the minutes as read was made by Ms. Blair and seconded by Mr. Mulder. The motion passed by voice vote.
Mr. Pocius presented the report
- A check failed to clear and the homeowner was notified; they paid the amount due plus a $15 fee.
- Seasons landscaping presented us with a certificate of insurance.
- Five dues letters came back as undeliverable – two will be sent to actual property owner address; one has been paid by the mortgage company; one was paid by the property owners, and one will be re-sent.
- Two checks were received for back dues/fees; one for $97.00 and for $344.35.
- Aquatic weed control has sent a contract for $2800.00; it needs to be signed & paid for service in 2017.
- The tax return for PIRCA has been completed and sent in; a bill has not yet been received.
- $5000.00 was transferred to the reserve fund.
- Mr. Pocius discussed past dues and the best options for collection
- In the interest of transparency, all bills approved will be posted along with the monthly minutes going forward.
- Acme bill for dues letter mailings of $867.74
- Two bills from our attorney were received; one for $72.49 and one for $86.99.
- A bill from Nipsco was received for $72.29
- A bill for bookkeeping was received for $300.00.
All bills were approved for payment with the exception of the attorney bill for $72.49 pending clarification. Aquatic weed control’s proposal will be given further consideration and will not be paid at this time.
A motion to accept the minutes as amended was made by Mr. Mulder and seconded by Mr. Smith. The motion passed by voice vote.
Common Area & Landscaping:
- 2017 Proposals were received from Seasons Landscape Specialties and Mulder Maintenance & Services. After considering each proposal, a motion to retain Seasons for the upcoming year was introduced by Mr. Pocius and seconded by Ms. Blair.
- Nothing to report at this time
- A homeowner complained about a confederate flag/violation of US Flag code. This is not something that would fall under our authority.
- A G suite account has been set up with a general address of Pircaboard@pineislandridge.org – this address will be used for all ongoing electronic communications.
- A draft of the Spring 2017 newsletter has been prepared; revisions were discussed and a final draft will be prepared. The final draft will be presented at April board meeting for approval, and will then be mailed.
Special Events: Nothing to report at this time.
ARC: Due to the absence of the chair, no report was given.
- Mr. Onik inquired about the involvement of ARC for projects that would be considered maintenance or general upkeep.
- Meetings were held with two legal firms this past week. A motion was introduced to dissolve our relationship with current legal counsel by Mr. Pocius, seconded by Mr. Mulder. A motion was introduced to retain the services of Austgen Kuiper Jasaitis P.C. by Mr. Onik, and seconded by Mr. Pocius. A motion was introduced to invite Mr. Kuipoer to our March meeting by Mr. Onik and seconded by Mr. Smith.
A motion to adjourn was received from Mr. Mulder and was seconded by Ms. Blair. Motion passed by voice vote. The meeting adjourned at 9:50pm.